LAVENDER SIMPLE SYRUP
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp fresh or dried lavender flowers
Bring water to boil. Add the sugar to the boiling water and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Turn off the heat and add the culinary lavender buds. Allow the buds to steep for 15 minutes infusing all the flavors. Strain the buds from the sugar water. Pour into a glass container or bottle that has a lid. The lavender simple syrup will last 3-4 weeks when stored in the refrigerator.
1 1/2 ounces Vanilla Vodka
1/2 ounces Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1/4 ounce Lavender Simple Syrup
In a cocktail shaker with crushed ice, add the vanilla vodka, lemon juice and lavender simple syrup. Shake well and serve straining into chilled martini glass with a fresh lavender flower or lemon slice as garnish. Makes one martini.
LAVENDER BUTTER COOKIES
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground culinary lavender buds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lavender extract (opt)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
**lavender extract: place 2 tbls of culinary lavender buds in glass jar. Add enough vodka to cover buds. Let sit in dark place for two weeks or more shaking daily. Strain out buds and use extract in your favorite recipes.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Cream butter and sugar. Mix in extract(s) and salt and lavender buds. Add flour in increments until well mixed. If mixture is too dry, add 1 tbls of water.
Roll dough into one inch logs and roll in sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for a few hours. Slice cookies into 1/4 inch slices and place on cookie sheet.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until you see just a hint of brown on the edges.
Makes approximately 3 dozen
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup culinary lavender buds
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
Add water and sugar to medium pot. When boiling begins add culinary lavender buds. Turn heat off, stir and steep buds for 15 minutes. Pour liquid through sieve to remove lavender buds. To this simple syrup add 1 1/2 cups lemon juice and 3 cups of water or 2 cups of water and about 2 cups of ice cubes. Can also serve with vodka or coconut rum for a summer cocktail.
CUCUMBER SALAD WITH LAVENDER
2 large cucumbers
2 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp fresh dill
1/8 tsp ground culinary lavender buds
salt and pepper to taste
Thinly slice cucumbers and mix all ingredients together. Eat fresh or cover and let marinate in fridge.
2 Tbl ground culinary lavender buds
2 Tbl fennel seeds
1 Tbl whole black peppercorns
1 Tbl whole white peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
One 4 1/2 lb whole beef tenderloin, trimmed and silverskin removed
2 Tbl olive oil
1. Add together the ground culinary lavender, fennel, peppercorns, thyme and salt. Rub the tenderloin with the spice mixture, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours
2. Remove the tenderloin from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place an oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 425F. Place a rack inside a roasting pan.
3. Remove the plastic wrap , brush off the spices from the tenderloin, and rub with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the tenderloin on the rack of the roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
4. Reduce the heat to 325F and roast for 5 to 15 minutes longer, to the desired doneness - instant read thermometer will read 125F for medium rare.
5. Transfer the roast to a carving board and let rest loosely covered with foil for 10 minutes.
6. Cut the tenderloin against the grain into 1/2" thick slices and transfer to a serving platter.
7. Drizzle the pan drippings over the meat and serve.
LAVENDER ORANGE BUNDT CAKE
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1TBL baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups white sugar or lavender sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 egg yolks
Zest from 1 small orange
3 Tsp ground culinary Lavender buds
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
11/3 cups buttermilk
1 TBL orange juice
1 TBL melted butter
1/2 cups powered sugar
Lavender culinary buds to decorate
1. Preheat your oven to 350F and grease your Bundt cake pan with butter. Place pan aside.
2. Sift the flour with salt and baking powder.
3. Mix the buttermilk with orange zest, ground culinary lavender buds and vanilla
4. Mix the sugar and butter in a bowl until light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs and egg yolks, one by one, mixing well after each new addition.
6. Fold in the sifted flour and buttermilk mixture, alternating them. Always start with the dry ingredients and end with dry ingredients.
7. Spoon the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and it passes the toothpick test.
8. Allow the cake to cool in the pan slightly then transfer on a platter and let it cool completely.
1. Mix the orange juice, butter and sugar in a bowl.
2. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and sprinkle with a few lavender buds.